Sunday, August 1, 2010

In this corner.....Walmart Redneck

Do you remember an earlier post about Jason's Deli?  Well today my wife ordered Jason's and was told that the delivery charge drops to $2.00 after 2pm.  Well that blows everything else they told me earlier last month.  So now who is telling the truth.  Do the employees really know.  Is it affecting their tips?  Who knows?  I want to know more and will find out.  I think I will check into it.  

Well any way I am about to embark on the school supply shopping in the near future.  I will revisit the special Bonner Springs Walmart again to shop for these items.  I will dress the part and will go prepared this year.  I will be tough, mean and will not take prisoners.  I will suit up and prepare for battle.  I will not let narrow aisles detour me from the needs of my child.  I will lunge and grab for the last of any given item.  I will use coupons and price match the hell out of anything that I find.  I will stomp heads and grapes to get to the last of the non perforated wide ruled spiral notebooks.  I think the teachers sit back and make most of this up just to send us to the loony bin.  There better be extra security in Bonner on this day.   I am prepared to drive a stake in anyone who crosses my path this time.  I will not be intimidated by the people of Walmart.  I will duel with the best redneck in the building, baby on hip or not.  This will be like Chariots of Fire in Wal-Mart as I sprint across the finish line, swipe my card, get my receipts and wave bye to the suckers I leave behind.  I will allow myself a time limit to to complete this endeavor.  I will assume the Karate Kid pose and kick ass.  My cart will become the Holy Grail and it will runeth over with the coveted Taylor Lautner folder and other assorted Vampire merchandise  There will be a place in the Winner's Circle for me this year.

 I for the life of me can not comprehend why the list is so complicated.   Why do we bring supplies "to share", instead of just supplying what our own child needs.  The schools have pencil holders that the kids throw their pencils and markers in and the kids use them at will instead of opening their desk and getting their own.  My problem with this is that now each kid has to buy a bottle of hand sanitizer "to share".  This seems ironic.  I know that we pay tax dollars for schools so why are we buying black dry erase markers for the teachers to write on the board?  If we boycotted this special request would our children sit in the classroom and stare at the teachers because we crippled them from teaching?   I anticipate by next year we will see, desk and chairs on our shopping list.  I would like to buy another backpack for my child but I am not sure that she will not need a Samsonite rolling 3x5ft trunk estimating from the increasing homework piles from last year. 

Do you save all the work from the year, do you throw it away?  How do you know what to save.  Anything that you try to throw away in the backpacks, the kids all of sudden pipe up and say that they were saving that.  I can not tell you how many times I have stepped on, vacuumed, or pulled out of the dogs throat the little items that come home from school.  Do we really need to have a school store in grade school.  I think that they stock it with the very list of items that they give us to buy at the beginning of the year for the classroom.  I don't need fancy erasers or book marks. 

Why did book fees go up again.  My child had troubles with the Time for kids assignments this past year and could complete it at home but could not do so because they were not allowed to bring those books home because they shared the books with other classrooms.  I am baffled as to what book fees cover.  I asked and was told there is no breakdown, it is all inclusive.  I am not going to a spa resort, I just wanted to know what the book fees covered or a list of the books covered.  Going from 4th to 5th grade this year is going to be rough, I was told.  I will now have two extremely hormonal ladies in my house. One that will learn what a uterus is in class and another one that will have to have hers removed.  Lucky me.  I relish the thought about driving around all the girls only to hear about who likes who and who has a crush on who.  It is beyond me how they can all talk at the same time, different conversations and still flip thru the radio channels in my car.  I am contemplating buying a car with two seats so I have an excuse not to drive them anywhere.  The first day of summer vacation I had to hear that my daughter was bored.  I was to stay home and my wife who does work from home was expected to drop what she does and drive her all over the place.  I believe that we heard less thank yous and more complaining this summer.  I disconnected her T.V. and Wii in her room and now she in in my office more than I am.  Consequences will be bigger and better this year.  Punishments will be carried out in a plank walking pirate fashion.  If anyone who is or has gone thru the 10 year old girl phase, then you can relate.  As much as I spoil and love her she can break or make my night.  This will be a year of getting back to the basics.   I do have the most inccredible, beautiful and caring 10 year old that a father could ever hope for.  She is my dream answered. 

3 comments:

  1. As a teacher, I will say I have never actually been the one to make the school supply lists. I would love to know who does, for my input has never been asked for, and I certainly have some requests! As for the dry erase markers, one school I worked at took away our supply, the teachers had to buy them out of pocket (along with every other supply used throughout the school year). Throughout the Olathe school district, all classrooms have a whiteboard set for the students, they must provide their own dry erase markers to use said whiteboard. I assure your tax dollars don't even begin to make a dent, though they are much appreciated. In JOCO schools, most of your tax dollars aren't even seen. Stepping off of soapbox now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Soap box. As a teacher you are valued and appreciated. I know all to well about budget cuts and to this day believe that pay grades for teachers are deplorable. I will always be in favor for tax increases when it has anything to do with education and the bettering of our schools for children. You are the guidance to our future and I highly regard you. Please see my postings as satire and continue to read them. Got a topic you want to see addressed, please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a paraprofessional in an elementary school where I am constantly submerged in a culture of snotty noses, uncovered sneezes and hands that you have no idea where they have been, we appreciate all of the hand sanitizer we can get and I will tell you that most of it is used up by the end of the year.

    As far as book fees go. Just wait until high school. The yearbook alone, well with the accompanying DVD, is over $50 itself. Add activity fees, planners, pictures, parking permits etc, the total comes to over $175. Probably over $200 by the time your kids get there. Free public school ain't so anymore.

    As far as 10 year old girls and summer. Welcome to Johnson County. Next year, sign them up for summer enrichment or better yet, sleep away camp. Don't look at it like an expense, look at is as therapy for you.

    Love ya Bob! Lisa Siegel

    ReplyDelete